ManTravels

Travel to Baguio April 2006. Pictures of my travels to Baguio City, Philippines in the Summer of 2006.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

A day at the Baguio Cathedral

The Baguio Cathedral. A symbol of the city, sitting on a hill above Session Rd. It has been the center of Roman Catholism in the city that I would say is over 90 percent Catholic.

Many people would remember their Baptism, Wedding, Confirmation or even Simbang Gabi in Christmas time. My mother remembers it as a sanctuary or refuge during World War II, and I think my maternal Grandmother is among the people that are was buried underneath during the war.

I remember going to Mass here at 6pm after the bells toll every Sunday and I would look forward to eating at Tropical Hut hamburger right across the streat at Session Rd. It was a ritual that was repeated many times with my Mother and sister Monette.

Baguio Cathedral today is again freshly painted and well kept. It has kept that same hue of paint throughout the years. It still overflows with people on Sundays.

The picture above is the normal full shot of the Cathedral.

This is the interior, with the altar detail.

A copy of the La Pieta is found in the left corner.

. Some detail of the stained beautiful stained glass that surround the church is aglow when bathed with sunlight

It was unfortunate that one of the stained glass windows at the back was broken during my visit but it made for an interesting shot of the view from the back. That of course is SM from the window, contrasting it with another shot of the church from SM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home